Monday, November 7, 2011

Halloween Sonnet

In Costume 
I watch the clothes of leaves fall to the ground
dressed up in velvet ears as Minnie Mouse.
A garbage bag I take and leave the house
So filled with awe I do not make a sound.
The sidewalks round the block are tightly wound.
My sister lags behind, a little louse.
With fur, grey dress and paws around her blouse
we search the ground for candy to be found.
The sky turns sweet, a string of purple flame.
We ring the bells and count the chocolate bars.
The sprint through maze of streets becomes a game.
I steal the louse's food; won't take the blame.
As rainbow balls fill bags like tiny stars
I know to take candy is not a shame.



I chose the Italian sonnet form because the iambic pentameter form gives the poem a relaxed feel, which is the mood I wanted for my poem – the childhood wonder of walking around blocks to collect candy. It was difficult at first to be tied to a rhyme scheme, especially once I had chosen my first few end words. I am used to writing free verse and being able to end a line where I want it and to use any words that appeals but in sonnet form, the rhyme definitely has a drive to the poem and limits word choices. However, I discovered that playing with fixed form was a good challenge that strengthened my writing muscles. The poem went places that I wouldn't have gone if I hadn't had a certain form to follow and I expanded my horizons to get a completely new kind of poem that will only improve with practice.  

2 comments:

  1. I think writing in metered form can be freeing too. You know where and when a line will end so it doesn't make you deal with the artistic dilemma of where and how to end lines, letting you focus more on word choice and spacing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's interesting to see where a form and rhyme scheme will lead you. I found it difficult to work in the form like you did, but I think the end result was worth it! This poem is really cute.

    ReplyDelete