Sunday, October 2, 2011

Religion: Like Water Up to the Ankles

Catching Fish in Church

Best talk I ever had was early morning,
somewhere in the midwest, still dreaming, notes
holding the pew benches together like warm spit.
It was not a conversation with words but the silence
made by throat and tongue alike. Nothing was said
but I folded my hands and closed my eyes, as though speaking
through the mottled lampshades of my lids, and forgot
the words and knew this was how it felt
to send a string up to the broken spine of the sky.
Like when I was five and trailing sticks through the solitude
of the water, not waiting for my life to begin
but instead plunging my hands into pregnant discs of light
belly-up on the rocks, all the world caught under the pink skin
of my suit. There in the pew I wanted to make myself small,
as I once stood in that river
and threw my stick, and watched it arc against the bodies
of leaves before coming back down.


This poem came out of two free-writes: one a church experience and the other a religious or happy childhood experience. As I wrote, I reflected on where I most feel God -- is it sitting in a church pew or outside in nature or through other people? I think as my faith continues to expand, I realize that I find God most in daily life, when I least expect, rather than in the routine of church -- though church is a very important part of my spiritual life. Faith and how we find it is an unanswerable question that can never be answered but I believe that thinking about it is a step in the right direction. 

5 comments:

  1. This poem is beautiful. I love the descriptive words such as "holding the pew benches together like warm spit" and the "broken spine of sky." Every time I read this work I discover a new line I absolutely love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can easily connect with the statement about finding God in nature. Your contrast of the church scene and the scene by the water brings to mind a continuous fight between orthodoxy and emotional discovery. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you manipulate language! It's a great experience to read this poem, forming images in your mind and then being shocked out of them by one well-placed word. One of my favorite lines is "...all the world caught under the pink skin of my suit."

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way you merge the two experiences in this poem--along with the paradox of speaking in silence--invites the reader into your dreamy perspective. I want to keep rereading the poem, not because I don't understand it, but because the language is such a pleasure and, as Liz said above, because each time I dip back into the pool of the poem I come up with a new treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sincerest compliments to you. I enjoy your style of poetry greatly and I think that your use of nature as a base for drawing metaphors is wonderful. It think it provides a common place that all readers can meet and work from. I really liked this and I think that you pulled the two stories together in such a way that there is a smooth flow instead of a distinctive break.

    ReplyDelete